Monday 4 March 2013

The Count Down


It still feels surreal to me, like I'm reading a Brice Courtney book or watching an episode of Alby Mangles Adventure Bound or watching a movie directed by Sean Penn. Like any good book or movie, i can relate to the characters, they share some basic personality traits to me and come from similar circumstance, but these characters are embroiled in an adventure that people like me generally only ever dream about. To sell everything they own and fly one way to South America with no definitive date of return (or need to return)? To drift across the worlds 4th largest continent assisting with various aspects of the ecological conservation effort including big cat rehab in Bolivia, rescued animal management in Peru and revegetation and community sustainability in the Galápagos Islands? The Amazon? Marine Iguanas? Pigmy Marmosets?  Ocelots? Glass Frogs..........? Well as surreal as it sounds to me, its happening, so I better be ready.

With a little under a month to go, each passing minuet rings like my phones reminder alarm in my head, reminding me of all the things we are yet to do before we go. 'Ding' you still havnt sold all of your belongings, 'Dong' you havnt saved your target amount yet, 'Ding' you still need to buy essentials, 'Dong' you still have to finalise your units notice to vacate....... But these feelings of stress have an accomplice, well more of a nemesis. The feelings of excitement that well up like waves deep in my stomach momentarily push the nervous stress aside, giving way to a light euphoria that entices an involuntary smile to sketch itself across my lips. This is it, the moment that the love of my life and I leap into the abyss to chase our dreams. The count down is on. 28 days to go.

 

1 comment:

  1. Where is the like button... I am going to be reading these every time you post and try to live through you for a couple years until I embark on my own adventure :D

    ReplyDelete